New Year, New Resolutions for 2013!
First things first, HAPPY NEW YEAR!
I think the best part of 2013 so far is finally finishing all of my quarter end reporting at work and having some free time to breathe. Just reading that last sentence brings a huge feeling of relief and realization that the past three weeks of work hell is finally over!
A simple New Years Resolution was what triggered me to start blogging a year ago so I made sure to put some extra thought into my goals for 2013. I wanted them to be more specific and meaningful this year so I spent a few extra days outlining what I want to accomplish over the next 12 months.
After reading this blog post, I thought Heather’s strategy of outlining how I feel and then breaking it down into more specific goals was the perfect way to go. If you don’t have a New Years Resolution yet or are open to creating specific goals for the upcoming year, you should read her post and start brainstorming!
I started my brainstorming with 4 words that describe how I want to feel:
Next, I wrote what makes me feel like each of the words above.
What makes me feel strong:
- Feeling exhausted after a great workout.
- Reaching new goals in my workouts.
- Fueling my body with proper supplements.
- A diverse workout routine.
What makes me feel intelligent:
- Studying for my personal training exam
- Experimenting with new workouts/recipes
- Reading the WSJ/watching the news
What makes me feel relaxed:
- Not having a full schedule everyday
- Having a clean room (this is a rare occurrence)
What makes me feel healthy:
- Eating clean
- Cooking healthy meals at home
- Maintaining a consistent workout schedule
- Getting a good night’s sleep
- Not drinking too much
From this point, I created resolutions based off what makes me feel like each of the four characteristics listed above. The end result was 15 mini/mega resolutions. I’ll admit-15 sounded a bit overwhelming at first and I initially thought about condensing the list, but then I realized that this is just a more specific outline of what would typically be a very general New Years Resolution. I could say that my New Years Resolution is to “get fit” or “be more healthy,” or I could choose to say that these are my resolutions for 2013:
To stay strong in 2013, I will…
- Participate in the Tough Mudder with my Shred family, even if it means getting electrocuted… :/
- Train/run my first half marathon.
- Start swimming again (I can already check this one off my list!)
- Continue experimenting with pre and post workout supplements to see what works best for me.
- Try new workouts around the city
To stay intelligent in 2013, I will…
- Take my personal training/CPR exams.
- Continue to educate myself on plant based diets, nutrition, and fitness
- Read at least one book per month
To stay relaxed in 2013, I will…
- Grow in my yoga practice
- Listen to my body in terms of my workouts
- Clean my room once per week (yes, I’m giving myself a chore as a New Year’s resolution-Kara this should make you happy!!)
To stay healthy in 2013, I will…
- Cook the majority of meals at home
- Try to get at least 7 hours of sleep per night
- Be more mindful of drinking when I go out
- Eat mostly plant based foods
It feels really great to have specific, concrete goals that I’m able to check off when completed. Every other year my resolutions have been pretty vague so I’m excited to see what 2013 brings for all of us!
What are your New Years Resolutions?
PS HAPPY FRIDAY!!!!