My Favorite Fitness DVDs
I don’t know about everyone else but my bank account has taken a SERIOUS hit this summer. August-October is packed full of weddings, road trips/flights to Steelers games, and other weekend adventures that I’ve been paying for up front. In an attempt to save money, I’m hoping to dust off some of my at home fitness DVDs and thought I’d share my favorites!
1. Insanity: This program is my go-to when I workout at home! You don’t need any equipment and the workouts are so challenging that there is always room for improvement. There are 11 workouts; the Fit Test, Plyometric Cardio Circuit (MY FAVORITE!), Core Power and Resistance, Cardio Recovery, Pure Cardio, Cardio Abs, Core Cardio and Balance, Max Interval Circuit, Max Interval Plyo, Max Cardio Conditioning, and Max Recovery. The idea behind these workouts is to burn the maximum amount of calories and fat through High Intensity Interval Training, so it’s mostly intervals interspersed with short periods of rest. There’s also a core workout as well as 2 recovery workouts that have alot of lunges, squats, and hip openers. You can see previews of each workout on the Beachbody website!
2. Beach Babe: This is another DVD series with numerous workouts to choose from. There are 7 workouts that range from 10-45 minutes and they are great if you are short on time or want to target a specific body part. It’s definitely less intense than Insanity but each workout focuses on fine toning and they are great to mix and match according to what body parts you want to work! It’s also a good DVD to travel with because the workouts aren’t too long and go by fast!
3. Tracy Anderson Metamorphosis: I ordered these DVDs about a year and a half ago and they are what initially got me interested in barre/pilates classes. There are two 30 minute workouts that you do each day; the first workout is a dance routine and the other is more of a pilates type workout that incorporates abs, arms with light weights/high repetitions, and leg work typically done on a mat. I’m a big fan of the mat/toning workout, but the dance sequence ended up giving me shin splits (likely because I’m not a dancer), so I avoid that routine for the most part. Also, there is an option when buying these DVDs to purchase them as “reoccurring” so every few weeks you will receive DVDs with new workouts!
4. Turbo Fire: If you like kickboxing or Tae-Bo workouts, this is the DVD program for you! There are 9 workouts that range from 10-55 minutes. Aside from the stretching, the majority of the workouts are kickboxing and resistance. Chalene’s energy is contagious and and you definitely work up a sweat, even in the shorter length videos. I also have her Turbo Jam and a couple Turbo Kick DVDs which are similar and equally effective!
5. Joyce Vedral: Gut, Love Handle, Pooch Busters: I LOVE THIS VIDEO!! It’s honestly the hardest ab workout I have ever done. I’ve never even done the other workout on the DVD…my mom used to do the VHS when I was in high school and I would always do the ab segment with her. I promise if you do this workout your abs will feel the burn days after!
If you have any specific question about any of the DVDs, feel free to message me! I also have a list of DVD’s that I didn’t enjoy and felt were a waste of money, so I’m always open to giving my honest opinions when it comes to workouts!